Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Surfer's Dream Come True

Rock Running is a form of hypoxic training to increase lung capacity. It forces your body to learn how to work better even when the regular, consistent supply of oxygen isn't available.

Preliminary drawing : gills 
shark gills
Anatomy & function of gills



For my augmented body project I decided to alter my body in a way that I saw benefiting me in a 'fun' and yet functional way. What inspired me to create gills is my new hobby in surfing and the training regiments that I partake in to better myself as a swimmer and surfer. Those exercises consist of training the lung to increase in lung capacity and to train the body to function when consistent air supply isn't available. So i came about the idea of having gills to eliminate the training and risks of being caught under a wave for too long and not being able to come up for air. Basically, being able to breath under water allows the surfer to paddle faster and consistently without having to duck beneath the wave, but basically paddle right through it, and to most importantly avoid the main concern of drowning when the surfer is caught beneath waves and cant resurface for air.

No comments:

Post a Comment